Skye Gyngell’s Roasted Spice Mix
This earthy mix adds depth to any slow-cooked dish. Think big pot of chili! It pairs nicely with coconut milk and red chiles too. The aromas permeated every inch of the house and lingered deliciously for days.
Roasted Spice Mix
from Skye Gyngell’s A Year in My Kitchen
2 cinnamon sticks
50g coriander seeds
50g cumin seeds
50g fennel seeds
50g mustard seeds
50g fenugreek seeds
5 green cardamom pods
2-3 star anise (or cloves)
- Place a dry, heavy bottomed frying pan over low heat.
- Break the cinnamon sticks in half. Once a clear smoke begins to rise from your pan, add all the spices and cook, stirring frequently to toast them.
- The seeds are ready when they begin to pop.
- Remove from heat and grind to a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container.