Skip to content

Happy Hour and A Rhubarb Ginger Fizz

June 1, 2012

Guess what? It’s happy hour!

So. It’s five o’clock somewhere. Besides, you’re going to love this cocktail.

Oh stop, I’m making one for both of us. I’d originally planned to bake you a rhubarb cake. It’s got this dreamy lemon ginger filling and a brown sugar glaze.

Sorry! Well, I can still make it for you. It’s just that I thought you needed a cocktail more than you needed a cake.

Stop it. I didn’t say you were fat. What I said is that you need a cocktail. You’re little high strung lately that’s all.

I’m not judging you. Who wouldn’t be high strung if they were in your shoes? Seriously, I don’t know how you do it. You’ve had a lousy go of it these last six months. Okay, so here, try this and tell me what you think.

See? I told you.

No, I’m not always right. Just ask Greg. I wish…I wish I could do more for you. It’s hard to stand by and watch what you’re going through and not be able to help. I want so much to help you, to take care of you. It’s easy to see that you’re coming up dead last on your very long list.

Yes, I know. You’ll be fine. You’re always fine.

It’s rhubarb schnapps with a muddled strawberry. Oh and a little fresh ginger. Are you changing the subject?

Okay, I know, I’ll stop. It’s just that–I love you.

A refill? Sure, coming right up.

Rhubarb Ginger Fizz

Ingredients

1 large strawberry
    1 teaspoon powdered sugar
    1/8-inch slice fresh ginger
    1 1/2 ounces rhubarb schnapps
    1 ounce vodka
    1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
    a few shakes of bitter orange bitters (I used Stirrings brand bitters.)
    ginger ale
    fresh mint (optional)

Preparation

1. Muddle the strawberry, sugar, and fresh ginger in a high ball glass.
  2. Add the rhubarb schnapps, vodka, sweet vermouth, and bitters. Stir to combine.
  3. Fill the glass with ice and top off with ginger ale. Finish with a fresh sprig of mint.
About these ads
6 Comments leave one →
  1. June 1, 2012 6:30 pm

Rhubarb schnapps—who knew? This looks divine.

2. Brian M. permalink
    June 1, 2012 8:14 pm

This looks sooo refreshing. The temperature hit 100 degrees today in California’s Central Valley. One of these would be delightful.

3. June 2, 2012 1:39 am

I agree with Michelle, who knew? Haha. This looks delicious and so, SO utterly refreshing!

4. etnolan permalink
    June 2, 2012 7:38 am

It would be delicious even just as a mocktail! Thanks
    xo
    E

5. June 3, 2012 10:33 am

I know you were writing to me with this post. Can’t wait to try one of these, after I make some rhubarb schnapps, of course.

6. June 4, 2012 6:08 pm

Wow, and here I was thinking that Rhubarb Curd was stepping outside the rhubarb box! Rhubarb Schnapps? I too am a Nigella fan!
    Such a pretty drink, and I do believe I read somewhere that ginger is an excellent digestive aid. Could be just what the doctor ordered!