Homemade Fromage Blanc
Fromage blanc (white cheese) is a great alternative to cream cheese – fewer calories, more flavor. It takes a day to make a batch, but it’s a waiting game - there are fewer than 15 minutes (!) of active preparation.
Fromage blanc makes a yummy spread on it’s own, but it’s far more interesting with other flavors added:
- sundried tomato and basil
- fresh berries
- fresh chives
- fig jam
If you get tired of spreading it on your bagels:
- Gypsy Peppers Filled with Fromage Blanc and Fines Herbes
- Mix it with honey or maple syrup and use it as a fruit dip.
- Use it in lasagna or stuffed shells in place of ricotta.
- Try it in a cheese cake instead of cream cheese.
Note: Fromage blanc can be made with whole or skim milk – the more fat in the milk, the creamier the cheese and the higher the yield.